Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"Unsafe at any Speed"




In a recent conversation with my friend Steve, a memory surfaced about the only convertible I have ever owned, not counting my go-kart. I purchased this(top left) '64 Corvair rag top(the car Ralph Nader killed and called it "Unsafe at any speed") from a bartender at the now defunct and demolished Marina Inn(Marriaggi Hotel) near the now Marina Park here in Thunder Bay. I purchased it in the spring of 1975 for $400. and sold it in the fall for exactly the same price. It was a super fun driver, but the sucker leaked oil at the rate of 1 quart per 100 miles. I was told by a friend and Corvair mechanic at the time to get rid of it, as the repair cost for the engine main would be more than the car was worth and that Corvairs were very prone to this problem. A lot of guys must have put up with this problem as you still see them at car shows, and driving around. I can say, however, that I did own a "convertible" and a "Corvair" once!

No comments: